Job Discussion Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Job Discussion Forums

The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Disillusioned with ESL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

عدد المساهمات : 305
تاريخ التسجيل : 2014-10-22

Disillusioned with ESL Empty
PostSubject: Disillusioned with ESL   Disillusioned with ESL EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 11:45 pm

he said I am a teacher with nearly 5 years experience, a CELTA and post graduate qualifications in Applied Linguistics. I have taught in Korea, the UK and now China.

Despite all the hard work gaining these qualifications they simply were not worth the effort. Employers simply don't recognise their value. Having spend thousands gaining a CELTA, attempting the Delta one exam and doing MA modules in Education and linguistics it all seems like a huge waste of time.
In terms of value for money I think the CELTA was worth it.
My aim was to gain a qualification which would give me full-time work in the UK, stability. The only ESL qualification which seems to offer this, is the Delta as the CELTA is too common now. I hear stories that some Delta qualified teachers are working for 12k a year in the UK?! It seems like a whole load of work for nothing.
I attempted the Delta exam twice. My tutor told me point blank I don't have enough experience in ESL to pass indicating that I had to work in Europe where standards are higher, smaller classes and defined levels.
Also during the Exam another candidate told me that a Delta tutor he knew seen the exam as a huge cash cow to make money from students. Much like the university and housing ponzi schemes..all a big con.

The UK market just seems too seasonal to make it viable. I returned a few years ago and got summer camp work. This is the best I could get a few weeks here and there.

My take on ESL now. Don't bother with anything more than a CELTA. This will qualify you for most jobs out there providing you have a BA. Get an MA in something you enjoy not TEFL (your career will be a joke in ESL)
A pgce done in the UK is worth it. The PGCEi seems like a waste of time.
Experience in good schools is more important than most of these qualifications.
Privates are the best way to make money in China so focus on them. ESL teachers are just ten a penny no one cares what qualifications you have or where you work.
North Americans seem to do better here for the simple reason their accent is more in demand. Qualified teachers are valued much higher than qualified ESL teachers in China at least.
Back to top Go down
https://jobdiscussion.roo7.biz

Disillusioned with ESL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Job Discussion Forums :: Job Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: